Florida Adventure (Park)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cypress Gardens 101

As many of you may or may not know, I arrived Sunday in Winter Haven, Florida where I will be working for the next 3 months at Cypress Gardens. So far so good. I am doing a 1950's review with 5 other people. I am living with 4 of those people in an apartment about 5 minutes away from the park. I am the youngest. My roomates are Jere (pronounced "Jerry"), Brian, Hasheen, and Jessica. I get my own room (hoorah) but it was unfurnished so I am for the time being living boho on a mat. Lisa makes our 6th and she is living with her soon-to-be inlaws. Everyone is 24 or 25 except me and Jessica who is a little older. Today is only our second day of singing and dancing emphasis on the dancing. And I am sore. The first day Tony (the director) didn't make his flight so we spent the day getting a (paid) guided tour around the park. We went to see the very patriotic (considering the cast is largely Russian) ice show and caught a bit of the water ski show on our lunch break yesterday. I haven't ridden any of the rides yet... they don't have very many they were just added during the renovation. At this time of year the park seems to cater primarily to elderly crowds. It's very scenic the lake is beautiful and they have a mini zoo complete with alligators AND crocs. And the gardens of course. "Southern belles" wander around... there's a pirate comedy show... Yeah, well I like it. The weather here is fantastic, I've been wandering around in a T-shirt all week. Flying south for the winter birds have a good thing going.
The show is going to be called "Shake, Rattle, and Roll"
The songs are:
Let the Good Times Roll
Shake Rattle and Roll
The Sea of Love (I have a solo)
Johnny B Goode (I have the solo)
Love Potion #9
Hound Dog (girls trio)
Jailhouse Rock
At the Hop
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
Since I Don't Have You
Great Balls of Fire
Dream, Dream
Rock around the Clock

I really think it's going to be fun. And a pretty paycheck.

Let's see other interesting tidbits: Tony is Cuban and spent 7 months in refugee camp as well as toured with a ballet company and helped choreograph Chita Revera in Kiss of Spider Woman. Oh, and Grease 2. His assistant, Angela, went to Shorter. She graduated the year before I transfered. And Nakeisha Daneil from Shorter did our "Rock around the Clock" dance (that we are stealling the choreography from) for a show at Wild Adventures -- I saw her in the video last night.Jere and Brian worked at Dollyworld together. Oh! And we have a dog! Jere brought his dog, Toby, who is very lethargic.

3 Comments:

  • It's great to hear from you, Brannyroo! It sounds like fun. I'm jealous again. Wish i'd checked this earlier. Gotta run.

    1-4-3!

    By Blogger Terrell, at 3:45 AM  

  • Sounds great, Brannon! That soreness will be gone in a day or two. I know you are great. I wish we could come to the show sometime -- that's our generation's music.

    By Blogger Joan, at 5:14 AM  

  • Good Morning Brannon! Great to read your update. I miss you...just knowing you not in "there's no place like Rome". I got up this morning with every intention of going to Walmart. But, first i had to read ALL the family BLOGS. SO I AM STILL AT THE COMPUTER? I am out of milk and several other important items on my grocery list, so i have to drag myself away from the computer.
    Latest news here...they are closing my nearby Kroger in a couple of weeks.
    Take care, darling. You are so very much loved by family and God. Congratulations on the job!

    By Blogger Ruth, at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home